Cocoa-Chipotle Chorizo

Yep - That's a real thing.

I made 12 pounds of sausage a few weeks ago.  This is my third year of being in charge of sausage making.  Jason and I work together on any sausage that has to be stuffed into casings, but I have taken over on Italian, breakfast, and chorizo mixing.

We had our first taste of my most recent batch of chorizo, and I really want to brag.

Here's the recipe for all you brave sausage makers who loved the movie Chocolat.

6 lbs pork butt/shoulder, ground

5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped

4-5 tbsp paprika

1-2 tbsp dried onion

1-2 tbsp chipotle powder

1-? pinch(es) of red pepper flakes

1-2 tbsp cumin

1-2 tbsp cocoa

1-2 tbsp salt

1-2 tsp garlic powder

1-2 tbsp brown sugar

Mix well.  Grind again if desired.  Separate into one pound packages.  Freeze.  Thaw.  Cook.  Enjoy.

We had ours cooked with eggs in warm corn tortillas, and it was the bomb.

You'll notice all of my measurements are pretty sketchy.  I'm a risk-taker when it comes to recipes.  It won't hurt to experiment a little.  Add even more pepper and chipotle if you like it hot.  I don't, so I didn't. Add more cocoa if you are brave.

Let me know how your recipe turns out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Despicable Shadow Puppets

Peanut Butter and Bananas

Things My Kids Say... Ready to Cry/Laugh/Groan a Little?