Even the Rocks Cry Out

Today at Sunday School, we had a wonderful guest speaker.  Her message was about rocks and how they have impacted her life, and not just because she loves to collect them.  Her interest in them has caused references to rocks in the Bible to stand out as key verses in her life.  Psalm 18:2 - The Lord is my Rock and my fortress.  God is a Rock.  Rocks were used to solidify covenants, build fortresses, to kill giants and to be shelter in the storms.  When Jesus entered Jerusalem and his disciples were loudly praising Him, the Pharisees told Jesus to rebuke them.  Instead, He turned to the Pharisees and said, "If they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:40)

Not only was her testimony beautiful, she also gave us all a rock.  That doesn't sound really special when I say it like that, but it really was.  She brought a basket of rocks and had us pass them around and pick one that spoke to us.  These weren't just any old rocks out of a driveway either.  There were some really neat ones.  I'm a nerd for this stuff too, so I took a bit of time carefully selecting mine.  There was a really cool jagged one with a leaf fossil in it.  An eternal reminder of the delicate details in God's creation and how He cares for the smallest things.  There was also one that had a perfect little seat in it, like a crook in an elbow... smooth for rubbing and being reminded of the safety and rest in God's presence.  There were so many to choose from, but I eventually settled on a rectangular one.  Smooth on one side and rough on the other, it was made of golden ripples.  Not like water had eroded ripples into it, but that each layer of the rock had developed in a ripple pattern.  Smooth and solid, but rippled and shimmering.  Just recently I posted about ripples in a pond.

I chose that particular rock as a reminder to myself.  A reminder that we have been called by God to move when He asks us to.  A reminder that things will ever ebb and flow and, while I might not like change, it is my duty to adapt gracefully.  A reminder that I must constantly seek Him so that I can be refilled and renewed.

What are the chances, really, that a rock with ripples would be in that basket?  I've never seen a rock like that before in my life.  Then another woman shared that she had almost picked that particular rock... Whew!  I'm sure glad she didn't.  God used that rock to speak to me today.  To remind me that the post that was so agonizing for me to write was truly what God wanted me to say.  Regardless of what anyone else says, regardless of my own internal struggles, when God speaks, I have to listen.  Even when He speaks through a rock.

Comments

  1. I've been to a similar Sunday school class and I have always looked at rocks a little differently ever since.

    Courtney
    www.whatwithwhat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the rock I chose in my purse the other day and smiled. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Despicable Shadow Puppets

Peanut Butter and Bananas

Things My Kids Say... Ready to Cry/Laugh/Groan a Little?