But this year, I had a special plastic bag on the counter for all of the vegetable and fruit stems and peelings. For our pigs of course. At the end of the night, as I stuffed decorative leaf lettuce in the bags, I mentioned how excited our chickens would be for a little of the lettuce.
Jen: "You have chickens too?"
Me: "Oh, yes... chickens, pigs... we're a regular farm these days."
Jen: "My husband is talking about wanting chickens."
Me: "Well, keep him away from Jason, or he'll have him talked into them pretty quickly."
Jen: "Ahem, I think he's the one that started it."
Me: "Oh great. I am SO sorry."
Sarah: "Now, Nicole... you knew Jason was a farmer when you married him."
Me: "That's the problem. He was NOT a farmer when I married him. Not even close. No one told me people change!"
Women: "Haha. Hahahahaha."
We had fun that night, and all of our "husband-bashing" (as Jason calls it) was in good fun. We didn't mean any of it.
But really... I didn't know that my husband would turn into a farmer. I gave in to the argument for pigs. I finally caved to the incubator and the eggs that hatched into chicks. I even advocated for a bigger tub for them to live in while they are occupying part of my dining room until they are old enough to go outside. We have worked together to create a compost bin and a garden. I agreed to the red worm tubs. I put my foot down about goats and we agree to never own cows... but I sometimes worry.
He alway begins with something like....
'I'm no apolcalyptic zombie junkie...but
- Someday, I hope we can be totally off the power grid.
- We should really look into a water wheel for the creek.
- This amaranth is supposed to be a really good grain.
- The potato starts I got from this guy at work (who is an apocalyptic zombie junkie) are supposed to have twice the protein of regular potatoes.
- If we could get that other five acres, we could easily have a bunch of goats up there. They'd clear out all the underbrush in no time.
- Did you know that there are guys who are storing 100's of pounds of rice and beans in their garage?'