Things My Kids Say... Ready to Cry/Laugh/Groan a Little?

When we were young, my mom had a notebook that she used to record all of the cute and funny things we said.  Of course, she was a single mom of four kids under the age of 6, so there were very few things that actually got recorded.  We cherished that book... each of us had a few written memories, and we would read and reread them to one another. 

So, when my kids were born, I got each of them a book.  My intentions were just as good as my mother's... but their books are mostly empty.  I've ended up using Facebook and blog posts more often than pen and paper.  I even got desperate in the car one day and voice recorded a few priceless events. 

Here are a few that happened over the last month:

We all rush in to the awards night for our Olympic Weight Loss Challenge.  The room is packed, auditorium style.  I have Leilee on my lap.  Jason has the boys on his.  They call up each contestant, say the percentage of weight they lost, hand them their card and check, exchange a handshake and everyone claps.  Both Jason and I had gone up for our cards, and we decided to stay for the rest.
The next woman they called up had lost 14% of her body weight.  She looked so happy and proud of herself, as she should have been!!  She was also a pronounced pear-shape body type. 
Hushed auditorium as she walks to the front, and my adorable, clueless daughter yells, 'That girl has a big butt!' 
Everyone around gasps and recoils, heads jerking in the direction of my extremely rude little two-year old.  Both Jason and I turn various shades of red, as I wrap my arms around my daughter and whisper into her ear about how not nice that was and how we don't say things like that and she could have hurt that lady's feelings.  Leilee whimpered a little, and we suffered through the rest of the awards in awkward silence.  We raced out the door the minute they were through.  I don't honestly know if the woman herself heard my little girl.  I pray she didn't.  Ugh. 

Grady and Connor were talking about a boy they went to school with.  This little boy has had a rough life... lots of moving around from home to home and struggles with behavior and learning. 
Grady said, "He's a bad kid, Mom."
Connor whipped around and said, "He's a good kid.  He just can't see it inside of himself yet!"
It almost made me cry, because I know that little boy too, and he just breaks my heart. 
I asked Connor if one of his teachers had said that to them, and he said, "No, I just know that about him."

We were waiting for our dinner at a pizza place that had some arcade games.  The boys had been given some quarters to play, but the machine had eaten a few of them.  Jason asked the waitress if they replaced quarters that had been lost. 
She said, 'No problem, I'll be right back with them.'
Well, she got busy, and when she came back to refill drinks, she didn't have the quarters.  Connor was on the edge of his seat, waiting for those quarters, but we told him to be patient.  The next time she came back to our table, Jason asked her about them again.
She said, 'Oh, I am sooo sorry.  I forgot!  I'll get them right now!'
Connor sighed and sat back in his chair, hands up in the air.  'See!' he said, 'She's just like Mom!'

Comments

  1. What cute experiences! But I must say that I love Connor! What a sweet little spirit that one must have - "He's a good kid. He just can't see it inside of himself yet." Wow!

    And, I also had good intentions about writing the adorable/embarrassing things my children said . . . never even got around to buying books for them! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connor does have such a sweet, thoughtful spirit. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. That was so cute! And definitely priceless. As long as you keep them, I don't think it really matters where does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Those are the things I want to make sure I remember. And only writing it down helps... I don't have the best memory, and Connor already knows that about me!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, a big squeeze for Connor. What a sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such a sweet boy. And very sensitive about his feelings and the feelings of others.

      Delete
  4. Love these little glimpses into the minds and hearts of kids. I think we've all had one (or more) of those "That girl has a big butt" moments. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the missing filter between mind and mouth... Although I know some grown-ups that lack a filter too!

      Delete
  5. I agree that no matter how you record those memories, as long as they're recorded, who cares of the medium! Your stories are funny and the kids sure say the funniest things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Despicable Shadow Puppets

Peanut Butter and Bananas